Main menu

Pages

Juventus penalized 15 points in the Serie A standings; 11 executives banned for mishandling transfer finances

featured image

Juventus have received a 15-point deduction from their current Serie A standings and former club president Andrea Agnelli has been suspended for two years from holding posts in Italian football due to mismanagement and manipulation of transfer finances, the federation has announced. Italian Football League (FIGC) this Friday. Deducting the capital gains violations will see Juventus drop from 37 points to 22, where they will sit 10th in the 20-team league and risk a top four finish to qualify for next season’s Champions League. season.

The sanctions didn’t just affect the club on the field, as 11 executives, from directors to board members, were banned for an extended period of time. Here is the sanctions overview:

  • Juventus: 15-point reduction in current Serie A standings
  • Fabio Paratici, now Tottenham director: 30-month suspension
  • Andrea Agnelli, former president: 24-month suspension
  • Maurizio Arrivabene, former CEO: 24-month suspension
  • Federico Cherubini, current director: 16-month suspension
  • Pavel Nedved, former vice president: eight-month suspension
  • Paolo Garimberti, former board member: eight-month suspension
  • Enrico Vellano, former non-independent director: eight-month suspension
  • Assia Grazioli-Venier, former board member: eight-month suspension
  • Caitlin Hughes, Former Independent Director: Eight-month ban
  • Daniela Marilungo, former independent director: eight-month suspension
  • Francesco Roncaglio, former board member: eight-month suspension

“The Federal Court of Appeals presided over by Mario Luigi Torsello partially granted the appeal of the Federal Public Prosecutor’s Office on the partial revocation of the decision of the Federal Court of Appeals to the United Sections n. 89 of last May 27, sanctioning Juventus with 15 points of penalty to be served in the current football season and with a series of bans for 11 Juventus executives,” the Italian federation said in a statement.

Juventus formally appealed the penalty. The 15-point penalty is more severe than the nine-point deduction recommended by a FIGC promoter earlier in the day. This all comes after the club’s recent financial statements were scrutinized by prosecutors and Italian market regulator CONSOB in recent months for alleged false accounting and market manipulation.

In addition to Juventus, the following eight clubs were acquitted of any wrongdoing in the investigation: Sampdoria, Pro Vercelli, Genoa, Parma, Pisa, Empoli, Novara and Pescara.

The investigation led to the board’s resignation in November, which also marked the end of an era for Agnelli and Nedved. The club acknowledged the so-called “salary manoeuvres” of the 2019-20 and 2020-21 fiscal years, adding that “the complexity of such profiles on valuation elements may be subject to different interpretations”.

Chief prosecutor Giuseppe Chine, after starting an investigation into the club, said he was convinced he had “new evidence that demonstrates the existence of crimes”, according to La Gazzetta della Sport. In this case, we’re talking about wiretaps and new documents that emerged during the civil proceedings, including Paratici’s so-called “black book” detailing the club’s capital gains over the past two seasons. The Federal Public Ministry did not initially have this information from Paratici at its disposal during the first criminal trial last year.

The club will appeal to the Collegio de Garantia of the Italian national Olympic committee (CONI) to see if the deducted points are restored. Paratici’s ban, however, is not valid outside Italy as of now, but the Italian federation’s prosecutor has officially requested UEFA and FIFA to extend the ban outside Italy.

Comments