Cristiano Ronaldo broke up with Jorge Mendes over an interview with Piers Morgan

Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly split with his longtime agent Jorge Mendes following a falling out over his bombshell interview for Piers Morgan – which led to his acrimonious departure from Manchester United.

The 37-year-old Portuguese forward was officially unveiled as an Al Nassr player on Tuesday upon his arrival in Saudi Arabia after agreeing a £175m-a-year deal.

It follows a tumultuous few weeks in which Ronaldo accused United of ‘cheating on him’ and took aim at manager Erik ten Hag, who sacked him earlier in the season, in the TalkTV interview.

Cristiano Ronaldo's longtime relationship with agent Jorge Mendes 'came to an end over a disagreement over his bombshell interview with Piers Morgan'

Cristiano Ronaldo’s longtime relationship with agent Jorge Mendes ‘came to an end over a disagreement over his bombshell interview with Piers Morgan’

Ronaldo and Mendes reportedly fell out during the interview, with the agent not involved in finalizing his £175m-a-year deal with Saudi club Al Nassr

Ronaldo and Mendes reportedly fell out during the interview, with the agent not involved in finalizing his £175m-a-year deal with Saudi club Al Nassr

Ronaldo left Manchester United after accusing the club of 'betraying' him in his interview with Piers Morgan in November

Ronaldo left Manchester United after accusing the club of ‘betraying’ him in his interview with Piers Morgan in November

According to the Portuguese news agency Publico, Mendes was opposed to Ronaldo giving the interview and learned later that any hopes of finding the star in another important club in Europe had disappeared.

The two-decade relationship between Ronaldo and Mendes had been deteriorating for some time and his personal manager, Ricky Regufe, negotiated his transfer to Al-Nassr.

Publico said Ronaldo expected offers from elite European clubs if he featured at the World Cup in Qatar, regardless of the acrimonious nature of his departure from Old Trafford.

Mendes thought differently, knowing that only Al-Nassr could match Ronaldo’s salary demands. As a matter of fact, he had already kicked things off by sounding out the interest of the Saudi club.

Ronaldo (right) has been represented by Mendes (left) since joining Man United in 2003 during his first spell at Old Trafford when Sir Alex Ferguson (centre) was in charge of the club

Ronaldo (right) has been represented by Mendes (left) since joining Man United in 2003 during his first spell at Old Trafford when Sir Alex Ferguson (centre) was in charge of the club

Ronaldo's Portugal teammates were uneasy with the presence of their coach Ricky Regufe (middle) during the World Cup in Qatar

Ronaldo’s Portugal teammates were uneasy with the presence of their coach Ricky Regufe (middle) during the World Cup in Qatar

Regufe - second from left - has been a close companion of the legendary striker since 2018

Regufe – second from left – has been a close companion of the legendary striker since 2018

Regufe started out as head of marketing at Nike before befriending Ronaldo

He is a regular face at Portugal games

Regufe started out as head of marketing at Nike before befriending Ronaldo

When Ronaldo flopped at the World Cup – he was dropped by Portugal coach Fernando Santos in the Round of 16 – that theory was confirmed.

Publico says Ronaldo’s behavior was a ‘constant source of irritation’ for the Portugal national team during the tournament, with his teammates and the federation ‘quenching almost everything’.

At this point, Refuge – who had been embedded in Portugal’s camp during the World Cup, something that raised eyebrows from other team members – stepped in to arrange their move to the Middle East.

Friction quickly arose between Refuge and Mendes’ company, Gestifute.

The 37-year-old striker is pictured in an Al-Nassr kit during his presentation in Riyadh

The 37-year-old striker is pictured in an Al-Nassr kit during his presentation in Riyadh

Ronaldo even had time to take a selfie with the presenters on stage during his presentation

Ronaldo even had time to take a selfie with the presenters on stage during his presentation

In his presentation on Tuesday, Ronaldo said he was offered “many opportunities in Europe and many clubs in Brazil, Australia, the US and even Portugal” – but he had already given his word to Al-Nassr.

Ronaldo was presented as “the greatest football player in the world” in front of 25,000 rowdy fans at Mrsool Park in Riyadh, under a backdrop of fireworks, flares and strobe lights.

Ronaldo was criticized for pulling out of the European game and taking the Saudi money.

But he said: ‘This contract is unique, but I’m a unique player, so for me it’s normal. I really don’t care what people say. I’m really, really happy to be here. I’m so proud of making a big decision in my life. My work in Europe is done. I won everything. I played in the most important clubs.

Ronaldo confirmed he turned down an offer to play football in Australia and the US

Ronaldo confirmed he turned down an offer to play football in Australia and the US

But it could have been different for Ronaldo, who said he had offers from all over the world.

But it could have been different for Ronaldo, who said he had offers from all over the world.

‘For me now, it’s a new challenge in Asia. I am grateful that Al Nassr gave me this opportunity to develop not only football but also the young generation, the female generation. I want to change the mindset of the new generation.’

Ronaldo met his new teammates – currently ranked second in the Saudi Pro League – before swapping his three-piece suit for a yellow kit and kicking balls into the packed stands.

To loud applause, he told the fans: ‘It’s a pleasure to be here. I will do my best for this club. My goal is to make people happy, have fun and help the country to be better and better.’

Ronaldo will reportedly help Saudi Arabia in its bid to host the 2030 World Cup, but insists he is mainly there to play football.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s contract with Manchester United was terminated by mutual consent in December

Ronaldo conducted a bombshell interview with Morgan last month, in which he took aim at Ten Hag, Manchester United and a host of other figures.

That change came just days after Ronaldo’s bombshell interview with Piers Morgan on TalkTV

He added: ‘I broke some records there (Europe) and I want to break some records here. I come here to win, to play, to enjoy and be part of the country’s success and the country’s culture.

‘I know that the championship is very competitive. I have seen many games. I’m ready to enjoy this, smile and still play football.’

There was an embarrassing moment for Ronaldo, however, when he said he was happy to be playing in South Africa and not Saudi Arabia.

Video footage released on social media shows Ronaldo saying: ‘Football is different so for me it’s not the end of my career coming to South Africa. That’s why I want to change and, to be honest, I’m not really worried about what people say.’

CRISTIANO RONALDO FOR AL-NASSR – EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

Announcement

.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111
1111111111111111111

نموذج الاتصال