Main menu

Pages

Upbeat Mets, Carlos Correa deal will work after worries

featured image

The long-awaited consummation of the blockbuster deal between Carlos Correa and the Mets has been postponed to the Christmas holiday Sunday. But there seems to be reason for a healthy dose of hope.

The Mets and Correa’s camp are said to be trying to work things out since the team mentioned an issue with Correa’s physical, which was held Thursday and Friday in New York. The robbery, which was uncovered on Saturday, is believed to be ankle surgery done in 2014 and a subsequent MRI.

Before Holiday interceded momentarily, the sides were arguing the value of a dubious MRI against the joint’s “functionality” and Correa’s history of reliability – he has missed just an average of 14 games over the last three seasons and, according to the agent Scott Boras, has never received any related treatment since that 2014 surgery.

The sides seemed excited and motivated to make this deal when it was agreed, and with the Mets and Correa’s camp said to be “working on things” on Saturday, there seemed to be some optimism that things could be worked out. The Mets understood that the Giants’ doctor encountered this problem when the Mets and Correa’s camp agreed to the middle-of-the-night $315 million 12-year deal that rocked New York.

Some other teams are said to have checked in following the Mets findings. But unlike the Giants’ case, where they informed the Correa camp only that they needed more time, according to what Boras told New York writers on Thursday, there appears to be a more substantive conversation between the Mets and Correa’s representatives after this last medical examination.

Carlos Correa
The Mets remain optimistic about the Carlos Correa deal.
Getty Images
Carlos Correa
Carlos Correa’s MRI has raised concerns.
MLB Photos via Getty Images

There was a lot of excitement about this deal following the deal between Mets owner Steve Cohen and Boras around 8:30 pm Tuesday in Hawaii (2:30 am New York time), where Cohen was on vacation. (Boras was on the phone from San Francisco, where Correa’s press conference had been canceled just hours earlier.)

“We needed one more thing, and this is it,” Cohen told The Post moments after the deal closed. “That was important. … It puts us at the top.

Correa is said to be equally excited to have the chance to join this star-studded Mets squad, which now has a record roster of over $380 million and a good shot at being the World Series favorite (if this agreement takes place). Correa said he was fine giving up the shortstop position, although he is considered one of the top two or three defensive shortstops in the game, if not the best, to move to third base and accommodate his friend Francisco Lindor.

Scott Boras speaks at Carlos Rodon's Yankees introductory press conference.
Scott Boras speaks at Carlos Rodon’s Yankees introductory press conference.
SHOVEL

Much of the conversation following the Mets medical exam seems to relate to the value of relying on an MRI versus actual field reliability and performance. But ultimately, the sides may need to agree on language to protect the Mets at the very least. It remains to be seen whether Correa is motivated enough to agree to any kind of recasting of terms, or even whether the Mets will suggest anything along these lines.

In the past, Boras has sometimes resolved medical issues with revised contract language, as he did in the case of JD Martinez, whose previous foot problems were flagged in a Red Sox scan following a five-year, $110 million deal with Boston. .

“There are no current issues with Carlos’ health,” Boras told New York reporters on Thursday when he was in town for Carlos Rodon’s Yankees press conference. The Mets, however, seem to have some concerns about their future.

🇧🇷

Comments