Main menu

Pages

Here's Why Donald Trump May Not Return To Twitter

featured image

Former President Trump has had his Twitter account reinstated, but his priorities are elsewhere.

Maria Altaffer/AP



  • Twitter’s new owner, Elon Musk, reinstated Donald Trump’s account in November.
  • The former president has not yet returned to the platform.
  • According to reports, Trump has chosen to prioritize Truth Social, which he founded and launched in February.

Since taking over Twitter at the end of October, Elon Musk has gathered a number of controversial figures with their suspended accounts.

Among them is former US President Donald Trump, who was expelled from the platform in January 2021.

Musk reinstated Trump’s account in November 2022, per the will of “people,” which was expressed through a poll on Twitter. However, the former US president has yet to tweet again.

Trump’s silence on Twitter caused some confusion as he made no secret of how much he valued the platform. In 2017, he even said that he would never have become president without her.

In particular, Trump noted that his brand and image were intertwined with Truth Social, a platform he founded and launched in February 2022, making it difficult for him to get back on Twitter.

Twitter is a competitor of Truth Social

Twitter is a direct competitor to Truth Social, which has a similar structure to Elon Musk’s platform. Users follow each other, like and comment on posts. There’s also a “retweet” option, which works the same as a retweet.

“Twitter is a competing platform,” social media expert Matt Navarra told Insider. “So it would be a strange thing for Trump to go out of his way and invest heavily in a social platform that has a lot of similarities to Twitter and then use the competition.”

Trump has repeatedly signaled his commitment to Truth Social. He told Fox News on Musk’s first full day as the new owner of Twitter: “I’m staying with Truth. I like it better, I like the way it works, I like Elon, but I’m staying with Truth.”

The former president is also contractually obligated to post first on Truth Social.

According to an SEC filing by the Digital World Acquisition Group SPAC, Trump agreed that he would not post on another platform for six hours after the initial Truth Social post. However, the clause does not apply to political messages.

The six-hour post-settlement “kind of defeats the purpose of being on Twitter because it’s all so real-time,” Navarra said.

Many Truth Social users want it to stay put

The data shows that many Truth Social users want Trump to stay away from other social networks. Last month, a poll published on Truth Social asked, “Now that Trump has been banned, should he go back to Twitter?”

While a majority of the 452 users who voted in a recent poll wanted him back on Twitter, a significant number were less interested. The poll ended with 63.9% voting in favor of his return and the remaining 36.1% saying he should stay.

One user commented: “Why do people think he needs to go on Twitter when he has the social truth? That’s just stupid thinking.”

“I say hell NO!” said another commenter, whose username was Sherry. “He has his own platform and I still don’t trust Twitter,” Sherry told Insider via direct message. “They are still banning conservatives.”

‘Star of the show’

Naturally, a large percentage of Truth Social users are Trump aficionados who want to hear directly from the former president.

Trump is Truth Social’s figurehead and “the star of the show” on the platform, Navarra said. When it comes to Twitter though, Musk is in the spotlight.

“I don’t think Donald Trump would want to be the second character on a platform when it belongs to Elon Musk, who is the star of the show right now, and I don’t think he’s going to like that pecking order,” Navarra said. .

“I don’t think either one will be happy to be second fiddle to the other,” he added.

Trump did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

Comments